At my work, we have a new standing agenda item on every meeting in the organisation. It's called Celebrating our Achievements, and every meeting must start by mentioning and celebrating positive achievements by our staff.
So, I am rolling out "Celebrating our Achievements" to the Bootcampers. As 2010 comes to a close its important we celebrate the great work our writers have done over the year. When I put the call out to the Bootcampers to give me their achievements, I had a great response. Congratulations to all on their achievements in 2010, some of which are listed below.
- Healer’s Destiny - polished, submitted to agents and entered into 4 competitions.
- Registrar for Romancing the Novel.
- Attended Coogee Conference – pitched to agent and editor
- Attended BootiCon!
- Obtained funding to help with Coogee costs.
- Attended WorldCon
- Entered 2 short story competitions. (one a brand new story)
- Submitted short stories to markets.
- Wrote one new short story needing work.
- Dream Tamer – first draft completed.
- Presented a Blogging Workshop at the Writers’ Centre
- Won the Little Gems cover contest
- Focusing more on writing and less volunteer work.
- Published on Antipodean SF, November issue with ‘The Bucket"
- Mirror, Mirror flash fiction accepted for publication by Mindflights e-zine
- Undertook Bob Mayer course via RWNZ
- Reading – lots done and a range of different genres/subgenres. Fun.
- Nominated for the Lynne Wilding Meritorious Service Award.
Goals for 2011
- Edit – DreamTamer, Gateway to Hell, Clown story, sanctuary sci-fi story (for Aus anthology)
- Write – Shadow novella, Lady & the Dragon, short story for MZB’s Sword & Sorcery anthology
- Read resources on writing I have on my shelf.
- Overhall website
- Enter Little Gems Short Story
- Enter Little Gems cover contest
- Submit once stories are polished :) Hoping to sumbit one novel, two novellas and 6 short stories.
Dana’s Achievements for 2010
- completed two more semesters of uni (only four more to go!)
- finished a synopsis for Believe in Fairy Tales
- entered the STALI
- entered HM&B’s New Voices comp
- started a new manuscript in a new genre
- learned heaps through Bootcamp, Breathless in the Bush, the RWA’s Perth Roadshow, and the RWA’s 2010 Sydney conference
- pitched to and editor and an agent (got requests from both)
- studied a new writing topic every two months
- built on and founded new relationships with other writers
A whole bunch of firsts for me this year...
- Saw my first book on the shelves (Feb 2010, and then quickly followed it up with two more and a novella before the end of 2010).
- Signed a contract for books 7-9.
- Got my first royalty cheque
- Entered the RITA for the first time (didn't final though)
- Did my first general public romance writing workshop and RWA workshop
Tracey's achievements for 2010:
- Made the second round of the Emerald award.
- Finishing TAFE course.
- Attended Coogee conference, with successful pitch to Harlequin.
- Entered my first international writing contest.
- Entered the 2010 Little Gems Short Story Competition, and story was accepted for publication in the anthology
- Entered the 2010Valerie Parv Award and received good feedback
- Entered the 2011 Emerald Award, waiting….
- Attended the RWA conference and Booticon and met all of the Bootcampers
- Managed the RWA Group Grants Scheme
- Volunteered as Editor on work newsletter and published six editions
I'm sure everyone will agree this is a FABULOUS list of achievements. Congratulations to all. As 2010 draws to a close, and thoughts turn to New Years, I urge you to make a list of writing goals for 2011, then in December next year, you too will be celebrating the year's achievements.
Happy writing in 2011 everyone.