Wednesday, September 8, 2010

It's all in the description

As a young bride I was over the moon to discover a picnic basket amongst the wedding presents. My delight however was short lived. Hubby looked at it in horror and muttered "I don't do picnics." My tartan picnic rug was destined to live its life out in the hall cupboard.

Until I discovered it's all in the description. The picnic basket is long gone, but in its place we have the "Smoko" Box. Fitted out at the local army disposals store, its suitable for trips to the motor sport, or for smoko down on the farm. Hubby is more than happy to boil a billy and sit out in the sunshine for morning tea or lunch, provided the word picnic is not uttered.

At some stage, I'm hoping to sneak it out to the park or the beach but I don't want to blow the cover of my picnic basket in khaki.

It's all in the description. And as a writer I figure I must be able to use this technique in lots of other situations. So what creative descriptions do you have for things around your house?

4 comments:

AJ Blythe said...

Lol, Fi, that sounds like my hubby. Never thought of taking thta angle though....

Danielle Birch said...

Funny how men need to feel more blokey about these things.

Fiona G said...

Anita, I seriously recommend the "Smoko" Box. We'd never eat outside the house if not for the smoko box, and those little packets of chips (which only go in the smoko box).

Danielle, what is it with men? Mine was scarred as a child - doesn't eat home baking (his mum never used sugar), won't go on picnics with a wicker basket and hates markets and roadside stalls with a passion. But, thinking about it logically, isn't that what sisters are for? All those activities hubbies don't go for.

Fi

Eleni Konstantine said...

Oh that is just hilarious Fiona. Just change the name, the appearance of the basket & there you go.....

I don't really have creative descriptions but if I come across any, I'll let you know. :D

The Bootcamper image is designed by Nikki Logan.
All Rights Reserved.