This has got me thinking during the drive to and from work. Here's some things I know as facts:
- I'll be closer to fifty than forty, still fit and healthy and not ready to start aging.
- I'll still be trying to build a retirement house on a block of land two and a half hours from home (and still trying to clear the fences)
- My trusty station wagon (The Saxon Warhorse) will be retired
- My gentle giant of a dog (aged 10) will no longer be with us
- My galloping pup (aged 1) will have grown a brain and hopefully stopped eating things - last week it was a cupboard handle from the kitchen
- I'll still be writing and actively seeking publication. And I'll be improved from where I am now.
And now the things I can't be sure of:
- I'll be published somewhere (But I'm thinking positive so now I have to mock up some books)
- I'll have a website and a pen name
- Maybe an assistant (for the fan mail)
- And a cleaning lady
- I'll need a new car - what to choose - station wagon (farm car), SUV, sports car
- I might have finished the house and moved. I'll have a fireplace for all those cold winter's days and nights I spend writing.
So, all you writers out there, have a think about where you want to be five years from now, make a list and start working towards it. Keep it somewhere safe, pull it out every year and check your progress. You never know where you'll end up in the year 2015.