Monday, January 4, 2010

New Year's Resolutions


Do you make new year resolutions?

I try to have a few, and I always choose a challenge outside my comfort zone. So previous new years resolutions included "learn to do cryptic crosswords" and "run a marathon". And I succeeded with both of these resolutions, even if it did take five years and hours of lessons from my mate Hugh to crack the cryptics. And hours and hours of training to run a marathon only slightly faster than a group of competitive walkers in their seventies.

So this year, my resolutions include "spend less time doing cryptic crosswords and spend more time writing" and "do the Gold Coast Half Marathon (if my knees hold up)"

But when it comes to goal setting, my face to face writing group, the Belles have it all sewn up. At the first meeting of the year, members write down their writing goals for the coming year in a special book, and we look back to see how they progressed the year before. In the wilderness that is pre-publication, celebrating the successes of the group members is one of the things I look forward to at the start of the year. Walking into that meeting, most of us think we haven't achieved much with our writing, but we leave invigoratated by our success and ready for the year ahead.

So what are your writing goals this year?

3 comments:

Eleni Konstantine said...

I really need to start thinking about more concrete goals than just 'finding balance'. But that is really what I need to do - now for the steps to take to get me there.

Eleni Konstantine said...

oh and good luck with all your goals Fiona!!

Fiona G said...

Hi Eleni

Thanks for the encouragement. I think finding balance is a great goal. Some days I run from pillar to post all day so the thought of taking the time to focus on balancing my life sounds great.

Fi

The Bootcamper image is designed by Nikki Logan.
All Rights Reserved.